There has been a new development regarding the latest film by world master director Takeshi Kitano (Beat Takeshi) – a film that has already been cranked up two and a half years ago and is in the process of being edited for release.
The film was already cranked up two and a half years ago, and progress was halted while editing was in progress for its release. Last summer, the Daily Shincho reported that “Beat Takeshi’s ‘last movie’ has been put on hold due to a dispute with KADOKAWA over a contract.
Based on Beat Takeshi’s novel, “The Head” was directed by Beat Takeshi himself. It is a major work starring actor Hidetoshi Nishijima, and it seems that the parties involved have come to terms with the release of the film.
I heard that Takeshi’s side and KADOKAWA signed a new contract this year, and just the other day, a preview was held at the movie company’s screening room for interested parties. Since it is still in the “No. 0” preview stage, it will probably undergo further modifications in the future, but it is said that they are aiming for an official entry in the Venice International Film Festival to be held from the end of August to September of this year. They are aiming to release the film this fall.
The reason for the delay in distribution for nearly three years after the film’s crank-up was reportedly due to a “misunderstanding” between KADOKAWA and Takeshi, who was planning to raise production costs by receiving investment from several companies, mainly KADOKAWA.
However, the agreement was later amended to include Netflix’s investment in addition to KADOKAWA’s, and in return, Netflix would own the rights to distribute the video. However, I heard that Takeshi himself had not heard about it, and that the project had run into a deadlock.
The clouds were further clouded by a series of bad developments.
In September of last year, the Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office arrested Norihiko Kadokawa, the chairman of Kadokawa, on suspicion of bribery in a bribery case involving a sponsorship contract for the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics.
He resigned from his position as chairman in October when he was indicted by the Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office. I continued to serve on the board of directors after that, but as of November 4, I also resigned as a director, and other than as a shareholder, I am no longer able to have any say in KADOKAWA’s management.
During the year-end and New Year holidays, a KADOKAWA executive visited Takeshi and explained the situation to him, although a definite date could not be specified. Takeshi accepted the explanation and they decided to start the project again.
(A sports reporter reportedly mentioned above.) After seeing a preview of the film, Director Kitano was reportedly embarrassed and said to those around him, “This isn’t funny. Nevertheless, Kitano is said to be relieved that the release date is in sight and that the stage is being set for the film’s official entry in the Venice Film Festival.
On September 6, 1997, “HANA-BI,” which Takeshi directed, wrote, and starred in, won the Grand Prix (Golden Lion) in the Competition section at the 54th Venice International Film Festival. The film won the Golden Lion in Competition at the 54th Venice International Film Festival.
A press conference was held at Narita Airport in a small conference room. I remember him saying at the press conference that he was grateful for many things and that he wanted to make peace with the FRIDAY editorial department, which he had once beaten up with Takeshi’s army.
At the time, Director Kitano was 50 years old. A quarter of a century has passed since then, and we wonder what kind of “head” Director Kitano, who continues to be a front runner in the Japanese entertainment industry, will really show where he is today.
In a blog on his office’s website, he wrote on January 5
“Resuming editing work on the film this year. Please stay tuned.
and expresses his determination for the release of the film. We then asked Director Kitano’s office to confirm the facts regarding the scheduled release of “The Head” this fall and his attendance at the preview screening,
We asked the director’s office about the “Kubi” movie, and they replied, “Regarding the “Kubi” movie, we would like to ask KADOKAWA about it.
I asked the same question to KADOKAWA,
When we asked the same question to KADOKAWA, they responded, “We will refrain from responding to your questions. We ask for your understanding.
We are looking forward to the release of the film.
We are looking forward to the release of the film, and before that, we are wondering how the Venice International Film Festival will welcome Kitano’s film. It is sure to be one of the most exciting news in the film industry this year.
Interview and text by： Watabe Wataru
After working as a desk clerk in the culture department of an evening newspaper, an editorial staff member at a publishing company, and a copywriter, Watabe became a freelance entertainment writer. He covers all aspects of the entertainment industry, including movies, theater, acting, and music. He also works undercover as a ghostwriter for celebrity books.
PHOTO： Kojiro Yamada