Tsuyoshi Shinjo’s Baffling Habits: Late Arrivals and Disappearances Confuse Nippon-Ham Fighters Staff | FRIDAY DIGITAL

Tsuyoshi Shinjo’s Baffling Habits: Late Arrivals and Disappearances Confuse Nippon-Ham Fighters Staff

  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on LINE

After completing a two-year contract, Nippon Ham Fighters’ manager Tsuyoshi Shinjo (52) has entered a new one-year contract for this season. The team has witnessed the growth of young players and succeeded in substantial reinforcements, including free agents and foreign players. While the third year under Shinjo is shaping up to be a decisive season, there are concerns among those around him about the manager’s off-field bad habits.

Similar to last year’s training camp, both the staff and the press are likely to be busy chasing after Shinjo’s movements.

For example, on the first day of the joint rookie voluntary training on January 9th, where newly joined players gathered at the Kamagaya Stadium for the second team, top officials and scouts from the first and second teams gathered. However, strangely, there was no sign of Manager Shinjo.

“The voluntary training started at 10 a.m., so it’s normal for someone to arrive at the stadium by that time. However, even when the time came, Manager Shinjo did not show up. Team officials were laughing and saying, ‘He seems to come to the stadium around 11 a.m.,’ but it’s unheard of for the manager not to be present at the start time of the voluntary training on the first day.” Said by a team official.

In his first year as the manager, whether he put too much effort into it or not, he arrived at the stadium an hour before the start of the voluntary training on the first day, surprising the media. It’s a remarkable change.

“Even after 11 o’clock, the manager didn’t show up, and gradually, the team staff began to worry, asking when the boss would arrive. On that day, there was a staff meeting scheduled with the front office starting at 1 pm. If he was late, it could have become a significant issue.” (Same source)

In the end, Shinjo arrived at the venue just before 12:30 noon.

“Wearing a turtleneck sweater, the manager was in good spirits, saying, ‘Fighters players are having a rush of marriages,’ but he seemed a bit sleepy. There were even concerns raised, asking, ‘Did he oversleep?’ and questioning whether he’s maintaining a regular lifestyle and worrying about his health.” (Sports newspaper baseball desk)

The team will begin its spring training camp on February 1, but those involved with the team are already worried.

“Last year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the manager stayed put at the stadium in Nago City, Okinawa, which is the camp location for the first team. However, this year, he declared that he will be moving between the stadium in Kunigami Village, where the second team holds its camp, and said, ‘I’ll be going back and forth.’ Even in his first year as manager, he used to travel between the camp locations for the first and second teams. He would casually tell his accompanying staff, ‘I’m going,’ and leave swiftly in a flashy car, or say, ‘I’m taking a short break,’ and not return to the accommodations for hours. Staff members were constantly being tossed around. As the head of the team, any trouble on his part could be a big issue. Now, with his ‘whereabouts unknown,’ everyone is on edge. Staff and the media are apprehensive, thinking, ‘Is that game of hide-and-seek starting again?'”

Shinjo has set his sights on making it to the Climax Series, at the very least. To achieve this, it is hoped that the commander is solidly prepared.

Photo Gallery1 total

Photo Selection

Check out the best photos for you.

Related Articles