I can only be thankful that I was able to continue the program for 17 years. I am very grateful.
On the November 11 broadcast of the information program “Sukkiri” (Nippon Television Network Corporation), Koji Kato of the comedy duo “Gokuraku Tombo” made his first comment about the program’s end at the end of March next year.
At 6:00 a.m. on the same day, NTV announced in writing
In order to respond to changes in the environment and needs surrounding 《TV》, the weekday morning (Monday-Thursday 8:00-11:30 / Friday 8:00-10:25) program will be reorganized in April 2023. Accordingly, “Sukkiri” and “Baguette,” currently on the air, will be terminated at the end of March next year.
The announcement was made to announce the termination of the two information programs. Sukkiri, which began broadcasting in April 2006, will come to an end after 17 years.
In ’13, “Sukkiri” ranked first in viewer ratings for the year, but recently “Hatori Shinichi Morning Show” (TV Asahi) has emerged and taken over the No. 1 position. Furthermore, “Mezamashi 8” (Fuji Television Network) is also closing in, and “Sukkiri” is falling further and further behind. It seems that the ratings and Kato’s fee are no longer commensurate with the show’s popularity.
Speaking of Kato, he originally belonged to Yoshimoto Kogyo, but when Hiroyuki Miyasako and Ryo Tamura complained that they were pressured by Yoshimoto executives and were not allowed to give a press conference during the black market scandal in 1919, they were told that “the current system of the chairman and president of Yoshimoto Kogyo is not working.
During a broadcast of “Sukkiri,” they declared, “If the current system of the chairman and president continues, I’m quitting Yoshimoto Kogyo!
during a broadcast of “Sukkiri” (Surprise). Haruna Kondo also tearfully defended Ryo and others.
Yoshimoto was greatly embarrassed by President Okamoto’s slowness at the apology press conference. However, Yoshimoto could not fire Mr. Kato because he did not want to give a bad impression to the public.
So they came up with the idea of an agent contract. Kato was transferred from Yoshimoto to an agent contract, and Haruna Kondo, who had been working for Yoshimoto, was also transferred to an agent contract under the radar. However, Yoshimoto terminated even Kato’s agent contract at the end of March last year.
Kondo left “Sukkiri” in March of last year. Kato continued to MC alone as a freelance talent.
As if to replace him, the program behind Sukkiri started at the end of March, “Lavit!” (TBS), in which Akira Kawashima of “Kirin” fame serves as MC.
The show is produced with the cooperation of Yoshimoto, and the producers are Yoshimoto employees, and in exchange for the valuable talent of Kawashima as MC, Yoshimoto has a great deal of power in terms of both production and bartering of performers.
“Yoshimoto has been “throwing its weight” behind Sukkiri, a groundbreaking variety show in the lineup of morning programs. Gradually, the program has become popular and is supported by people who are not interested in news and other topics. For Yoshimoto, Kawashima is now more important than Kato,” says a wide-show insider.
Nevertheless, Kato is one of the comedians who is also a talented host. Losing his five-times-a-week slot may be a big blow to Kato, but on the other hand, he may receive new offers as his schedule becomes more open.
Following the end of the show, he said
I don’t know what I’m going to say.
Kato said, “I don’t know what I’m going to say. It will be interesting to see what he will say during the remaining time.”
PHOTO： Yuri Adachi