What Really Happened on Set? The Unusual Atmosphere Surrounding Jiro Sato and Ai Hashimoto’s Drama
Did the co-stars know about this controversy?
More than three weeks have passed since “Shukan Bunshun,” released on July 2, reported on the harassment controversy involving actor Jiro Sato (57) and actress Ai Hashimoto (30), but there are still no signs that the situation is settling down.
Sato appears in the film “Odoru Daisousasen N.E.W. Run Through the Metropolis!” scheduled for release in September.
However, “Sports Nippon” reported in its July 3 issue that Fuji Television had informed Sato that he would be stepping down from the Odoru spin-off drama starring Sato, which had been scheduled to air in September. On July 7, Sato himself posted on his own X account, declaring his split with Fuji TV, writing, “I want all of my parts in the main film to be cut as well,” among other comments. He announced his farewell from “Odoru.”
“However, Sato updated his X the following day, on the 8th, and posted a message of reflection saying, ‘I sincerely apologize for that part and retract it.’ He also reported that he had received a direct message from director Katsuyuki Motohiro (61). Director Motohiro himself appears to hope for production to resume, but Fuji’s senior executives, who are members of the production committee, are confused, saying, ‘This is not something that should be decided by a single actor or director.’ The project is reportedly being reconsidered, including offers to Sato.” (Entertainment agency source)
Meanwhile, Hashimoto’s side is also said to still be angry with Fuji.
“Fuji was trying to negotiate with Hashimoto’s side, including payment of money, but the report came out just as that was happening. It seems the situation inside the network is still in a state of confusion.” (same source)
The trouble between the two lead actors occurred soon after filming for the drama began, but despite that, filming itself appears to have proceeded smoothly until the very end. This is because the drama also featured Kaito Nakamura (29) of “Travis Japan.” Nakamura mentioned the filming on his blog on the membership website FAMILY CLUB web.
In a blog post dated April 7, he began by saying, “I’ve been having fun every time,” and revealed that he told Sato that he had watched the film “The Bomb” (released in 2025), in which Sato appeared. He also said that he talked with the cast about their favorite foods during breaks. In a June 6 blog post, he wrote, “I’m also enjoying the filming itself. I’ve been given a great opportunity to learn a lot.”
“Apparently, the co-stars were not informed about the trouble between the two at all until the end. Some agencies seem to have felt that Fuji said something suggestive to them after filming had wrapped.” (Fuji Television source)
Another entertainment agency source, separate from the one mentioned earlier, told this website:
“In the first place, at the time of casting, did they properly investigate the two lead actors’ types as actors and their compatibility? No matter how you look at it, wasn’t this a case of miscasting? It is also true that voices saying this had come from the agencies of the co-starring actors.”
The source said.
How can this trouble finally be brought to an end? The conclusion is still nowhere in sight.
On YouTube, “FRIDAY Digital’s” Entertainment Reporter Channel features active entertainment reporters discussing the behind-the-scenes turmoil where the power balance of the entertainment industry becomes visible, under the title “Jiro Sato & Ai Hashimoto: The Changes Seen at the Filming Site — Fuji’s Unexpected Comment to the Co-stars,”and provides an in-depth explanation of what is happening behind the scenes right now.
PHOTO: Kumatarō Arai
