#BunshunDisband Trends After Matsumoto’s Lawsuit Withdrawal: Analyzing the Online Backlash

Bunshun is going out of business.
Such words temporarily trended on SNS.
Such a phrase briefly trended on social media.
It all started after Hitoshi Matsumoto of “Downtown” withdrew his lawsuit in the ongoing Bunshun trial.
On November 8, Matsumoto, who had been in a legal dispute with Bungei Shunju, the publisher of Weekly Bunshun, which had reported on his past troubles with women, suddenly announced the withdrawal of his lawsuit. On the same day, through his lawyer,
“We have confirmed, including that there is no direct physical evidence to demonstrate the presence or absence of coercion.”
He explained the reason for withdrawing the lawsuit, saying:
“I want to avoid causing further burden or inconvenience to many people by continuing with the trial.”
He revealed.
He was attending a meeting with women present.
Regarding the problematic dinner meeting,
“Matsumoto attended a gathering where women were present.”
He acknowledged this and added,
“If there were women who felt uncomfortable or were hurt by my actions, I sincerely apologize.”
He apologized.
On the other hand, Bunshun issued a statement under the name of Editor-in-Chief Seiki Takeda on Bunshun Online. The statement discussed the behind-the-scenes details of the lawsuit withdrawal.
“There was contact from the plaintiff’s legal representative expressing a desire to publicly apologize to those who were hurt. After discussing with the women involved, we decided to agree to the withdrawal as the defendant.”
He revealed.
After seeing both parties’ statements, some SNS users interpreted that Matsumoto’s side had the legitimacy, and they spread the initial #BunshunDisband hashtag, which trended. Likely, they used the no physical evidence part to deny the sexual assault allegations and, in response, launched an attack on Bunshun, as if to say, “You hurt our Matsuchan.”
Interpretations vary, but looking at the tone change from Matsumoto’s side, it’s clear which side had the upper hand.
When Bunshun first reported the story at the end of last year, Matsumoto immediately declared legal action. On January 8,
“Since it’s completely false, I will fight it.”
He wrote, “Since it’s completely false, I will fight it,” and suspended his entertainment activities. When he filed a lawsuit against Bunshun in March,
“My claims have been drowned out, and I am confused, frustrated, and saddened by the absurdity of it all. I want the truth to reach the public as soon as possible, so I can return to doing comedy.”
He had released a statement with the following message.
He does not agree with the expression of hypothetical.
In court, Matsumoto’s side requested the identification of individuals A and B from Bunshun’s side. Meanwhile, it was revealed that A’s representative, lawyer Masahiro Tashiro, had used a detective agency to conduct a background investigation. These contradictory actions reflected Matsumoto’s side’s confusion.
Subsequently, Matsumoto and Bunshun began private reconciliation talks.
“I heard that negotiations began before the summer, but they couldn’t reach an agreement on an apology to A and others. That’s why the lawsuit was suddenly withdrawn. We were surprised as well,” said a sports newspaper reporter.
After dropping his raised fist, Matsumoto issued the earlier statement. He accepted Bunshun’s request for an apology concerning A, as well as a public statement, which Matsumoto’s side initiated with contact to Bunshun.
“Both sides emphasize that no money changed hands, but originally A didn’t seek financial compensation. A only wanted Matsumoto to reflect on his past behavior and apologize. To be honest, A’s side is not satisfied with Matsumoto’s ‘hypothetical’ expression, ‘If any women felt uncomfortable or were hurt by my actions.’. However, A and others seemed exhausted from the protracted court battle with Matsumoto,” said a source from a wide-show program.
For the lawsuit withdrawal, Bunshun’s approval was necessary. While Bunshun could have rejected Matsumoto’s request, they seemed to have taken into consideration the women, including A, who had made the accusations.
Matsumoto’s agency, Yoshimoto Kogyo, issued a comment hinting at his return to entertainment. It was stated that specific discussions had already taken place with various networks.
When Matsumoto reappears on television, how will the public react?